Thursday, December 27, 2012

Where there is a birthday, there is fire...


"Where is she going with this?" you may find yourself asking.  Remember the aforementioned "voices" in my head?  Well, I've been listening to them again and today the two voices actually merged into one thought which began one inspiration.  Today I will be sharing with you thoughts and pictures on my recent birthday celebration and of course, fire (or fireplaces to be more exact.)  Here is how the whole thing started. 

This morning was extremely cold (if you are from the North then 36 probably sounded like a day at the beach, but, here in the South we frown upon climates of this nature) HOWEVER, it was quickly warmed up with a sweet (both literally and figuratively speaking) birthday surprise from my co-worker and friend, AyBe.  She surprised me with a delicious and beautiful homemade lemon-zest-buttercream-delicacy which she  cruelly placed 29+1 candles on and smugly smiled at me while she lit them all on fire.  (I thanked her by creating her new nickname, AyBe.)  After the fire extinguishers were put away I began to think about all of my amazing friends and my most wonderful birthday soiree that was held just a few days prior.  I was completely spoiled by love and friendship and all things amazing and I truly felt blessed.  With that said, 30 still feels a little like the beginning of the "winter" of my life.  *yes, that is a little dramatic, but, work with me people!*  So, with the first cold snap this week, it seems like it is only fitting that it is also the beginning of the winter season this new year.  

Both the cake and the cold bring us to  the subject of FIRE and how it inspires cozy and toasty thoughts and feelings and is typically a focal point for any party...or home.  Think about it; we go to "field parties" (as they called it back in my homeland of Albertvegas) where we all huddle around giant bonfires, we always run straight for the birthday cake at parties which is typically set ablaze by thirty or so candles, and we are constantly finding new ways to revive the old fireplace in our personal place of peace and calm (a.k.a. HOME).   Fireplaces have been around in homes since the beginning of domestic dwelling.  It is a very important and significant part of our lives.  So, I'm going to show you some photos of my cake, my presents, my joy and excitement over 29+1 candles on my cake...and of course, FIREPLACE DESIGNS!!!!!! (alright, simmer down now)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Birthday Fire

AyBe's confection a-blazing (need sunglasses)


Some of my presents from my wonderful friends: a delish candle, a fab scarf, a fun and pretty box, and some Rammer Jammer beer (happy b'day girl indeed)

Yummy lemon zest buttercream icing with the smug candles


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Interior Fire inspirations


This little interior "fire bucket" is pretty cool.  It really warms up the more minimalistic "cold" space and adds a little bit of theatrics to the room
This twist on a classic space can be achieved by choosing monochromatic, earthy paint colors on both trim and walls and letting your accessories add the drama.  This room looks a lot like one of my favorite paint colors "Warm Stone" by Sherwin Williams
I love that this early American style room is painted an unexpected color.  Also, another unexpected treat is that they filled the interior of the fireplace with books!  

Such clean lines in this modern-style space.  The natural beauty of the slate tile running on the fireplace wall adds a natural element to a home that may otherwise look more industrial with the finishes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before and After (a little snippet of my work)


Here is a fairly typical fireplace, hearth, and surround which my sweet Mother-in-law wanted to jazz up.  So, she gave me free reign on creativity and we have a really spectacular "after" (see below)

Here is the final product, a new mantle, surround, paint color, and built-in shelves with a tongue and groove wall make for a fabulous space.  The work was done by Drake Homes in Birmingham, Alabama.  They really made her home a beautiful and serene space.  (sorry for the picture quality...I will have to brush up on my skills)

***check out my brother-in-law's facebook page to see more of his amazing craftsmanship: http://www.facebook.com/DrakeHomesAlabama



1 comment: