Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Nashvegas New Year

To celebrate the coming of 2013 and the going of 2012, the hubs and I went to Nashville to visit two very dear friends of ours and participate in some shenanigans and broohaha-ery.  Needless to say, it was quite memorable and one of our best celebrations yet.  

We kicked off the long (and well-deserved) weekend with going out in our hometown of Birmingham. We ate ourselves silly at dinner and then people-watched at a watering hole while listening to an amazing band.  Then, we proceeded that Saturday to laze around the house like the couple of house-cats that we are, then packed for the big trip.  We woke up early on Sunday morning to make our way up I-65 to Music City U.S.A.  

On Sunday Allen and I went to our first NFL game.  The Titans played the Jaguars and won;  which as I understand it, is not something that generally happens.  While I am a southern gal and I love some football, I typically stick to the collegiate version of the game.  There are a few differences in rules and regulations, but, the most important difference to note is that they actually serve adult beverages at NFL games.  This, my friends, is the way to watch a game!  

After the victory was celebrated we continued on our party path and scurried to a place on Printer's Alley to (what else?) watch more football.  Here are a few pics to document the debauchery of Sunday's events:
Snugglin' to stay warm at the Titans' game



After all the activities we snapped a pic outside of the Nashville Orchestra building----architecturally beautiful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We woke up Monday and started the day with a delicious breakfast at a sweet little Franklin, TN establishment where I had a country version of eggs benedict that consisted of a biscuit, bacon and sausage, an over-easy egg (or two) all smothered in white gravy.  If that ain't Heaven then I don't know what is!  I was a very happy (and full) girl.  After that, my sweetheart and I went sight seeing.  One of the best things about Nashville is the history that is so well preserved there.  You will hear it in the stories told by the locals, see it in the well-kept historical homes and buildings, and notice it with every turn specially marked with a plaque telling you of the significance of the spot you are standing on.   If you have never visited, I highly recommend the trip.  Take your time, read up on the locations, and breathe in the culture.  

Since this IS a design blog I snapped a few photos of elements that caught my eye.  I wish I had taken more, but, with all the activities scheduled I was on a tight timeline.  I took two pictures of two VERY different things that made me excited in totally different ways.  

Look at this house!!!!!!!!!!!  Not only does it depict an era of long-ago, you can tell the owners (both past and present) really took pride in keeping this home in pristine condition.  There were larger (and older) homes all over this area of Downtown Franklin, but, this little charmer stole my heart with the room of windows hanging off the side and the perfectly manicured lawn.  You can tell that every architectural element was considered when choosing all of the details.  From the historically accurate paint colors, the dentils and the finial at the front door, even up to the Christmas decorations; this sweet home just made me melt.



And then there was our lunch spot (yes, I am talking about FOOD again...perhaps I should reiterate how much I love food because you are also going to hear a lot about our dinner in just a few lines down)...I digress; we went to the Sportsman's Lodge in Cool Springs for a SMALL lunch (I reluctantly, but smartly, chose a side salad so as not to spoil my dinner.)  Here at this wonderful restaurant you could see that it was the epitome of warm and cozy lodge.  Not only was it adorned with all kinds of dead animals (not my favorite element, but, interesting to look-at and highly appropriate none-the-less), it also had TWO real stone, floor-to-ceiling, wood-burning fireplaces, stained wooden accents, and multiple ANTELIERS.  Yes, anteliers.  Let me go ahead and set the record straight with my personal tastes in design; while I may not personally want a specific style in my own dwelling, that doesn't mean that I can't lust after the overall feel and design in a different setting.  I will more-than-likely never own a ski-lodge, mountain-home, or hunting camp, but I can always enjoy the aesthetics when I find myself surrounded by the likes.  With that said, I am OBSESSED with anteliers.  It started as a joke, as I had only seen these light fixtures used in comical ways such as movies and magazines, poking fun of rednecks with too many trophies on their walls.  Then it happened; I saw one of these intriguing and creative light fixtures used in a real-life design and was so impressed.  It is whimsical yet slightly formal all rolled into one.  When used in the right setting, there really is no better choice to give you that concept of "bringing the outdoors in."  Sometimes working with nature really is the most peaceful, cozy, and beautiful design.  ***I would like to add a disclaimer that while I love an antelier, and there is a lot to be said for authenticity,  I, in no way, support the senseless killing of all of those sweet deer with their long, flapping eyelashes (sorry daddy....I had to say it.)  In my mind those antlers are carved out of some sort of simulated wood so that no tree or animal was harmed.  When I received my first fur coat at the tiny age of 4 my grandmother explained to me the bunnies were "dead already."  I still use this thought process when purchasing meat at the grocery or shearling accessories at the boutique.***
  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All this brings me to the main event of the weekend: the 16-course, dance-til-you-drop, food and vino extravaganza.  Just to reiterate my choice in side-salad a few hours prior, I said SIXTEEN COURSES.  I know....seriously?  And yes, I enjoyed every bite of it!!!!!!  Our super-hip and ultra-cool Nashvillian friends were kind enough to invite us to this crazy concept of dinner and we loved every second of it.  The place is called "Mangia" and is a pop-up-restaurant that sets up inside of the Cool Cafe.  The Cool Cafe is open on weekdays and serves breakfast and meat-n-three lunches.  The owner of this establishment is friends with a really amazing Italian cook.  He is an authentic Italian-American who wanted to bring his love of Italian-style family dinners to the public...and I am oh-so-thankful he did this.  The concept is amazing, the food is even better, and the atmosphere was sheer perfection.  Placed in an unassuming strip-mall with the name "Cool Cafe" plastered on the outside, you feel like you are part of this great secret that not everyone is privileged to be a part of.  The wine starts flowing and then the appetizers start.  Then the salads.  Then the pasta.  THEN YOU BREAK TO DANCE.  Yes, dance.  (also one of my favorite activities ever)  The chefs at the open-style kitchen start to keep time to the music banging on their pots and pans, the wait-staff starts to round everyone up, they crank up the music and everyone is on their feet and participating in the festivities.  This goes on for around twenty-or-so minutes and then the bell rings....TIME FOR THE MAIN COURSES!!!!!!  Our waitress comes out to let us know that the homemade veal-stuffed ravioli is taking a moment because it was made just a few minutes prior to keep it fresh.  I didn't mind the wait as I was enjoying the merriment...but nothing could have prepared me for what was about to happen.  The ravioli came out and it was pure perfection.  This was hands-down my favorite thing I have ever eaten.  E.V.E.R.  This is not an exaggeration in the least.  Unfortunately you will never understand as it is not near as good TALKING about it as it is EATING it.  ***Another disclaimer; I typically never eat baby animals and veal falls in that category.  Thank goodness I made an exception with this one***  The beef tenderloin that came up next made a great impression too.  Then we wrapped up with more wine, a champagne toast, and desserts (yes, multiple.)  The dinner started at 6:00 and we left around 11:00 so I'm sure you can jump to the conclusion that we were stuffed, happy, and loving life.  We went home to kiss goodbye to 2012 and say hello to 2013 with full bellies and joy in our hearts.  THANK YOU MANGIA for a memorable and delicious experience!



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I went home to celebrate the coming of a new year and reflecting on the past year, I couldn't help but feel extremely blessed.  Blessed to have an adorable husband who loves me and whom I love dearly, friends who mean the world to me and warm my heart every day, family who will always guide me in the right direction, and God who has showered me with all of this.  I hope that everyone has taken a moment to tell your friends and family that you love them and has counted their blessings one-by-one.  May each and every one of you have a wonderful 2013 filled with laughter, joy, love, and kindness.  ~Much love~

No comments:

Post a Comment