Sunday, January 27, 2013

Things that make me smile :) :) :)

Yo yo yo!  It has been a while since my last post and I do apologize to anyone who was possibly looking forward to my snarky yet chipper posts...I failed you.  Now that the new year is under way and going full blast I feel like I can commit a little more to writing and less to whatever else was keeping me away.

I do my best thinking in the shower, and since the last time I blogged was January 7th, I have had quite a few showers and a lot of thinking time between then and now.  I would come up with amazing titles and subjects for my blog and then life would happen between that morning thought and the end of the day and then, what-do-you-know, but I hadn't blogged...AGAIN.  With that said, I will get back in to the habit of posting my jibber jabber online in hopes of entertaining at least one person.

Today's post will be about things that make me smile.  If you will reference my personal description, smiling is absolutely one of my favorite things.  To quote the wise Frances Mae Aden (my Nan) "Life is too short to take seriously...no one gets out alive anyway."  I have always followed her optimism and joy for life; with that comes smiling...a lot.   So, let's chat about things that make me smile.

I got a new car this weekend.  My husband is so sweet and let me pick out my very own, brand new, shiny Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I am not so sure I have ever owned anything so nice.  THIS makes me smile.  The fact I got the deal I wanted makes me smile too. Nothing beats that new car smell and all the new gadgets and gizmos they put in there such as touch-screen technology, heated tuschie warmers, a big-ole sunroof, built-in GPS (so that I am no longer a danger on the road trying to navigate from my Iphone), and satellite radio.  Mentioning the satellite radio brings me to my second thing that is making me smile...

If you are looking to get a car, go to Hendrick....they treat you right!  Shout out to Tyler Martin for helping us out.  Also, something that I discovered REALLY makes me smile....haggling.  I feel like I'm pretty good at it too!


90's on 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The era that I thought I would never miss is oh-so-amazing when relived on the radio through music.  The horrible tunes that we listened to in the nineties that were filled with computerized noises, heavy bass beats, and words that were unrecognizable really pulls at my heart strings and makes a giant grin come across my face.  If you had told me that I would enjoy this genre of music I would have laughed at you...that just shows you how sometimes you don't know yourself at all.  When "Flip Fantasia" came on the radio I instantly relived my long days in the summer at Gold Medal Gymnastics warming up for my floor routine.  When I heard Boyz II Men I instantly remembered those hard days in Jr. High when that special guy just wouldn't notice me and I was almost certain I would die an old maid (yes, I know....I would NOT do the awkwardness of Jr. High again if you paid me trillions of dollars.  Sheer agony and torture...but good memories!) THEN came the late nineties....that's when I started my High School years.  Talk about a trip down memory lane:  "Chickity China, the Chinese Chicken" and "I really really really wanna zinga-zing aaaaahhh"  were just some of the lyrics that we found so entertaining.  I remembered those hot summers out on the practice field perfecting our dance moves for the fall's half-time shows and I remember cooling off after practice in my bff's pool and then riding in her turquoise Eclipse to go to Sonic to get a flavored drink concoction that had enough sugar to kill a small elephant.  THESE were the days my friend, and this radio station made me relive them minute by minute.  The 90's on 9 makes me smile...
Best. Break. Up. Song. EVER.

I still squeal like a 14-year-old when she comes on the radio

Don't act like you didn't stay up late to see them perform on Saturday Nigh Live

Outfits that I would have LOVED to have had in my Junior High years...what the heck were we thinking?!?!?!?!?
I was also really in to grunge music...and the 90's on 9 plays BOTH dance and grunge.  YES PLEASE!



This was my favorite movie and in 7th grade ALL fashion decisions I made were based on the "Cher" factor.  If Cher wouldn't wear it, I wasn't interested. 


Visiting my parents and my Nan:  THIS makes me smile.  Today I took the new ride to see my parents in Huntsville as well as a small trip to see my sweet Nan.  The best thing about seeing my family is they always feed me (usually too much), they give the best hugs, I get to see my other fur-children (Winston, Sadie Belle, Chloe, and Sammie) and I always get treated like a VIP.  You know what else?  I get to give my mom decorating advice.  Sweet lady that she is, she is always trying to rearrange her "stuff" to make her home perfect.  This means she constantly needs advise.  Today's obstacle: where to put an upright piano?!?!?!?!?!?  Yes, this is tricky.  One rule of thumb is you are never supposed to put a piano on an exterior adjacent wall as this will constantly cause your expensive musical instrument to get out of tune.  With that said, not too many people have a room in their home that doesn't have at least 2 exterior walls.  The remaining walls are usually taken up by door casings or passageways.  So, what options does this leave?  NOT MANY MY FRIENDS.  Right now my mother has her beautiful piano cattywampused in the middle of the room.  This was NOT the solution.  This also is the first time I have been truly stumped as to how to help her out.  In fact, I still do not have the solution.  I think we will actually have to put it in the DINING ROOM (gasp!) and move the four sideboards she has in the dining room right now to somewhere else.  I think I failed to tell you that my mother collects antique family heirlooms and has a really hard time parting with ANY of the pieces she has accumulated.  With that said; while the thought of rearranging all of those heavy objects around makes me grimace, the thought of helping my mother perfect her space makes me SMILE...

Where does one put this?  AND why is my mother moving this on her own?


And lastly, I am going to brag on my Allen one more time; while I was off in my NEW ride visiting my parents and getting my grub on, he was at home washing our laundry and straightening up our house.  Having a man in my life that pitches in and doesn't shy away from his "honey do's" MAKES ME SMILE FROM EAR-TO-EAR!  It is wonderful to come home and not have to worry about whether or not we have clean socks to wear to work tomorrow.  He makes me smile multiple times a day, but he deserves some mad props tonight for all of his efforts today!


I hope everyone had just as fabulous of a weekend as we did and that you found hundreds of reasons to smile these past couple of days.

Good night all and thanks for reading...hopefully I made you SMILE! 


Peace and chicken grease (see...the 90's on 9 is so inspiring),
MB


1 comment:

  1. MaeBeth
    You're blog has made me smile for so many reasons. I love satellite radio because it has 60's 0n 6! lol I love being alone in my car and playing it wide open! I wasn't a hippie in the 60's but I think it would have been fun. I also have a Mother who hangs on to all the lovely pieces of furniture that will fit in her townhome. And she loves rearranging! Best of all I too have a Sandlin man and they are a kind, compassionate, caring breed who seem to enjoy nesting. AL is very good with laundry and housecleaning and he's a better cook than me!
    Yes I understand your reasons for smiling. You are a very blessed young woman. Thank you for making me smile today.
    Cheryl Sandlin

    ReplyDelete